CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
When life (or Nigeria) Gives you Lemons....Make Special Lemonade (with a shot of vodka)!

Saturday 26 April 2008

Making Lemonade!

Salut, fellow bloggers!

I know everyone has some sort of introductory spiel so i'll try very hard not to bore you with mine!

here goes...

Im a 21 year old Nigerian girl trying to make sense of this jand way of life (bus passes :(, rain :(, constant state of financial depression :( ), I'm in my final year at a respectable University counting down till i can leave the hell hole!

I think that's enough for now :)

Ok, i'll get right into it

For those of you who don't know...there is a common saying 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade'

well...unfortunately it isn't always that easy to grab all the lemons and squeeze them into a sugary pulp..sometimes life throws you sour rotten ugly lemons...what then?

being a black..or even an african woman is hard in this country..especially when you are used to the african way of living...for example...hair.

For all of you nigerian girls reading this, i know you will understand what im about to write about...when you are trying to get your hair done, there are so many things to consider first. Instead of waking up, shaking out your silky locks and thinking..'hmm i think i'll just pop down to the salon to get a wash and trim'.

Nooo...we have to assess the undergrowth first, think...'hmmm do i have enough money to make the monthly trek down to some obscure scary looking part of town to buy afro-hair?...is my usual hair person available?...do i have 6 hours to dedicate solely to sitting on my ass and getting my hair pulled ten different directions?...'

And in my town, its extra hard to tick all those boxes.... So..one day i decided to get my hurr did...but i felt there would surely be somewhere closer to home to endure the anticipated torture...so i walked into a neutral looking salon (because u can't just walk into a salon full of blondes under a dryer)...and asked the man behind the desk if they do afro-hair (approach the situation delicately)...and he said...

'Oh, sorry madam, unfortunately we don't do afro hair...why dont you try somwhere away from town..you know, further away'

Excuse me?
'you know...further away'
I felt like he was saying my hair wasn't good enough to even...touch

So that makes it even harder to get your hair done in this country... having to brush off the insults too

And does anyone see nothing wrong with the phrase 'black-on-black crime'? You hear it on the news, and in general conversation...but wait a minute...as opposed to white-on-white crime?...lol...do you ever hear chinese-on-chinese crime...?

I think it's odd thats all..

My friends were in an incident involving an irate cab driver and a black girl the other day.

The cab driver pulled up for my friends and they were about to get in when two black girls came up to the car and asked if it was theirs....the cab driver told them it wasn't but i guess that wasn't good enough!

as the car pulled away, one of the girls spat...twice!!.. on the body of the car...

So in the car the (asian) cab driver turned to my friends and asked..

'why is it that 'darker skinned women' are more violent than other women?'

well...u know my friends were majorly pissed at this point...and u know when someone says something even vaguely racist...ur quick to jump in and set them straight...but what can you do when a cab driver asks you that kind of question after two black girls spit on his car?

Speaking of random happenings...one night, three weeks ago my friend FashionGirl and i went to a random party of a friend of mine's. It wasnt a bad night and we had fun... but the most random thing happened when were about to leave...

FG had been dancing with a guy towards the end of the night and noticed that he was keener than she would have liked...so on our way out he goes up to her and proudly informs her..

'I have alot of money in the bank., I'm good looking and I have a big d**k...what do you have to to bring to the table?'

!!!!

homeboy didn't even crack a smile...he was serious!!

FG just turned around like she hadn't even seen or heard him.

These are just some of the things we have to deal with in this country..as well as school...God knows how we do it all! :)

So that's it for now...i hope your not trying to stifle a yawn...lol

I promise my next post will be cheerier

...i hope


LemonadeGirl...xx

5 comments:

Tinu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tinu said...

welcome welcome to blogsville!!!

i love gossip girl to!!! hehehe

sorry i deleted the first post!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ 'further away' ... the things we suffer ... and no one appreciates it, you still get the bloody asses saying 'I hate when girls wear weaves' !! lol...

Chari said...

You're welcome to blogville...dearie...this is dangerous territory, you sure u dont wana ride wit me, girl?

*Pulls up BMW 3 SERIES 2008*

Charizard: "I drive this smooth car in ma imagination, I dont have money in the bank, ma d.ck size is ma business so w@ u bringing to the table..."

Wow!!! That is some gangster ish u got poppin there mayn...

Anonymous said...

'I have alot of money in the bank., I'm good looking and I have a big d**k...what do you have to to bring to the table?'

Gosh, that dude really has liver o.

As for the rest of your blog entry,
Your points were on point!!

Nice blog btw.